When you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant, there are a lot of things that you need to be aware of especially when it comes to your health and well-being. It is advised that you get in touch with your doctor and tell him that you are trying to get pregnant so that he can prescribe you pre-natal vitamins which are essential for your as well as your baby’s health.
One thing that you as a mother need to be aware of is the medicines which you take during or in the beginning of your pregnancy as it can have a serious effect on your child’s health. If you are already pregnant, you need to take extra care of your health even if it requires modifying your lifestyle. The basic aim should be to avoid any serious illness as much as possible. If you do happen to get ill, then inform your doctor that you are pregnant so that he can prescribe you medicines accordingly.
Here are some of the dos and don’ts when it comes to medicines during pregnancy-
- Always check with your doctor if you acquire some illness. Make sure he knows that you are pregnant
- Avoid over-the-counter medicines as much as possible. Stick to your prescriptions.
- Contrary to general opinion, most herbal medicines are unsafe during pregnancy. Make sure your herbal practitioner is a member of the regulatory body in his field. Tell him that you are pregnant and to prescribe medicine accordingly.
- Avoid aromatherapy and essential oils therapy. Most of these are unsafe during pregnancy
- Most antibiotics are safe during pregnancy. However, consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking one.
Below is the list of some of the safe medicines that are known to be safe in most common illnesses during pregnancy-
- Allergy– Benadryl and Claritin
- Common cold and Flu– Tylenol, saline nasal drops. Do warm water gargles 3-4 times a day.
- Constipation– Colace, Metamucil
- Back-ache– Due to the growing baby and increase in body weight, backache is pretty common during pregnancy. Avoid pain killers. Pre-natal massage is the best therapy to deal with backaches. It relieves the back pain and also relaxes your body and mind that is already under a lot of stress. Do ensure that you are taking massage from a certified or professional therapist.
These 9 months are the most important months for the baby’s future well-being. So when in doubt, always consult your doctor!
One thought on “What medicines can you take during Pregnancy?”
Great information on best vitamins to take during pregnancy. This is the first time I have visited your site. Thanks for sharing! Have a terrific day!