How To Use a Fetal Doppler
Don't want to read all these instructions? We have made this video for you.
Are you going to make your own video of using fetal doppler for the first time? We would love to watch. Share with us on our Facebook page
When can you start listening to your baby's hearbeat?
The baby's heartbeat can usually be monitored with a Fetal Doppler anytime after the 12th week of pregnancy. Many have heard it as early as 10 weeks,
however, it may be difficult for you to hear the beat before the 12th week.
Please note: Patience is very important when it comes to using a fetal doppler, if results cannot be found within several minutes of trying, please put the machine aside and try again a little bit later.
Alright, First things first:
- Make sure batteries are installed and the device is working.
- Get our famous ultrasound gel or something like aloe vera gel or olive oil in order to reduce the static created by the fetal doppler.
- Get a towel and have it beside you for easy cleanup once your done
Now that you have everything ready, lets start:
- Being flat on a couch or a massage table will help. A full bladder will also help to catch that small fetus' heart beat. Use lots of gel or lubrication to have maximum static reduction. Start looking for the fetal heart rate working your way up slowly from the pubic bone towards the belly button but not all the way up. Usually in the beginning the fetus is tucked away really deep and it can be hard to find the heart beat.
- Gently rock the doppler probe from side to side making sure to not miss any area of the bottom part of your stomach until you find the heartbeat.
- You will clearly see the fetal heart rate in beats per minute (BPM) on the Doppler's screen. Remember the fetal heartbeat will be between 120 and 180 beats per minute which is alot faster than any adults heartbeat.
Sometimes the sound waves will echo causing it to sound like there are two babies in the womb, but each baby will have different heart rates, so don't panic, unless of course you are expecting twins.
Hope this helps and good luck! Contact us if you need any other advice on using our fetal dopplers. We are always here and we can be reached at 1-800-590-2767.
The information below is required for social login
Opret ny konto