When you use your fetal doppler, you want to hear your baby’s heartbeat clearly every time. How can you ensure that happens?
Cleaning and maintaining your BabyDoppler is critical for good fetal doppler readings.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to clean your fetal doppler and keep it in the best condition, ready for the next session.
What is a Fetal Doppler?
If you don’t already have a fetal doppler, you might be wondering how the device works. A fetal doppler detects your baby’s heartbeat while she’s still in the womb. The heartbeat is then amplified through speakers and the fetal heart rate is displayed on screen.
Here’s how the device works:
- Lean back or recline on a sofa
- Apply a blob of ultrasound gel on your lower abdomen
- Place the probe in the ultrasound gel and turn the device on
- Starting lower and working your way up, rock the probe on an angle
- Stop when you detect your baby’s heartbeat
Parents love fetal dopplers for a variety of reasons, including:
- Strengthens bond between pregnant partner and baby
- Gives the whole family an opportunity to bond before birth
- Provides another checkmark of reassurance that their baby is ok
- Creates keepsakes
BabyDoppler Sonoline B Care Tips
Keeping your BabyDoppler Sonoline B device in the best shape means that it will work optimally. That translates into a clear heartbeat with less static.
Learn how to best care for your fetal doppler with the tips below.
<h3>Always Prep Space Beforehand
Before you start using your fetal doppler, make sure you have all your supplies ready. Along with the device and ultrasound gel, you should also have cleaning supplies like:
- Tissues, paper towels, or hand towels
- Soapy Water and/or Rubbing alcohol or rubbing alcohol wipes (optional)
Clean Before First Use
It’s always a good idea to clean your BabyDoppler before first use. Giving the probe a quick wipe can ensure there’s no residue and that you’re off to a clean, static-free start.
Wipe Your Probe Clean
After each fetal doppler session, you should wipe your BabyDoppler probe clean. That’s because the sticky ultrasound gel will dry and cause buildup. Buildup affects how the device works. Instead of hearing a clear heartbeat, you’ll hear static. The only way to prevent this is to properly clean your device.
To wipe your BabyDoppler probe clean, first, remove the probe wire from the main device.
Simply use a tissue, paper towel, or hand towel to wipe the remaining gel off your probe. This should be enough to prevent buildup in the short term. You can also use a cloth dipped in a solution of soap and water.
Use Rubbing Alcohol to Sterilize Probe
You can also choose to use rubbing alcohol after wiping your probe clean. This extra step can sterilize your device. It can also further help prevent buildup, so it’s good to do at least once every month.
Simply remove the probe wire to disconnect it from the main device. Then use a small amount of rubbing alcohol on your paper towel and wipe the probe clean. You can also use rubbing alcohol wipes.
Don’t Let Any Liquid Enter the Product
If you’re using paper towel and soapy water or rubbing alcohol to clean your device, take caution. Make sure the paper towel isn’t soaking wet, causing it to drip over or into the device. If any liquids enter the device, it could cause damage.
Let Probe Air Dry or Wipe Dry
After you’ve cleaned the probe, you can either let it air dry or wipe it dry using a clean cloth.
Wipe Device Display
Keep your device and screen clean from dirt and dust. Wipe the device and screen with a dry cloth.
Do Not Apply Cleaning Chemicals
Don’t use strong cleaning products on the fetal doppler probe. Harsh chemicals can affect the quality of the device or damage it. Also, avoid using abrasive tools like sponges or steel wool.
If you need to remove ultrasound gel buildup, simply use rubbing alcohol on a paper towel.
Never Submerge Probe or Device in Water
Never submerge your probe or device in water to clean it or for any other reason. Doing so can damage your device.
Use the BabyDoppler Protective Case
To keep your BabyDoppler safe between uses, use the BabyDoppler Protective Case.
This case is designed to hold the Sonoline B Fetal Doppler and prevent it from damage. The internal side pocket secures the probe, batteries, and extra gel: Everything you need to use it anywhere!
The sleek, hard-shell case is perfect to stick in your purse or luggage when you’re traveling. It also gives you one spot to store all your fetal doppler supplies.
Get $10 off the BabyDoppler Protective Case when you purchase a fetal doppler!
Check Wires and Connections
Make it a habit to check wires and connections from time to time. This will ensure your device is always working correctly. And if it’s not, you can contact us—all fetal dopplers come with a one-year manufacturer warranty should you have any problems.
Always Use Gel or Acceptable Alternatives
Ultrasound gel is the best lubricant to use with your BabyDoppler. Since it’s designed for the purpose of transmitting sound waves, it leads to the clearest sound.
Take extra precautions if you use ultrasound gel alternatives. Alternatives like oil can create more of a mess, meaning more cleanup is needed.
Replace and/or Remove Batteries
When you see your device’s batteries running low, don’t wait to replace them. This helps avoid battery leakage, which can cause damage.
Once you’ve given birth and won’t be using the device, it’s a good idea to permanently remove the batteries to ensure the device still works if or when you need it next.
Avoid Extreme Temperatures
Like any device, don’t expose your BabyDoppler to extreme heat or extreme cold. For example, leaving your fetal doppler in the direct sun can affect its performance. Having it outside in extreme winter temperatures for long periods may also cause damage.
If you have any questions about caring for your BabyDoppler—or any concerns—contact us! We’re here to help support you through your pregnancy. Send us an email at email@example.com or give us a call at 1-800-590-2767.
Other BabyDoppler Tips
Interested in more tips on how to correctly use a fetal doppler? Here are our top suggestions:
- Use at the best times. To make finding your baby easier, use your BabyDoppler at the best times of the day. That includes 30 minutes after waking up, 30 minutes before bed, or 60 minutes after eating. Using it while you have a full bladder will also make the heartbeat easier to find.
- Know the noises. Not every noise on your fetal doppler is your baby’s heartbeat. Learn how to discern the heartbeat from other noises, like the placenta or your own heartbeat. Read: Heartbeat or Another Noise? 8 Tips to Discern Fetal Doppler Noises.
- Take your time. Don’t rush to find your baby’s heartbeat. Take your time to rock the probe over every area and be patient.
- Don’t panic. If you can’t find the heartbeat, don’t panic. In most cases, it’s normal not to find the heartbeat, such as when the baby is too small or moves to a different position. However, if you suspect something is wrong, contact your doctor and if you experience a loss of pregnancy symptoms (ex. movement), seek emergency care.
- Use a 2MHz probe if plus-sized. If you’re plus-sized and having trouble detecting your baby, consider getting a 2MHz probe attachment. Using a 2MHz probe instead of the regular 3MHz attachment can make it quicker to find your baby’s heartbeat.
For more BabyDoppler tips, read our guides:
- 14 Fun Things to Do with a Fetal Heartbeat Monitor
- Can’t Find Heartbeat with Fetal Doppler? 8 Things to Do
- 14 Doppler Don’ts: Fetal Doppler for Home Use Mistakes
- Fetal Doppler Sonoline B Cheat Sheet—Everything You Need
- 10 Must-Know Secret Tips for Finding Fetal Heartbeat with Doppler
Summary: BabyDoppler Sonoline B Care Tips
Cleaning and maintaining your BabyDoppler device ensures it’s performing optimally. That means better sound and less static when listening to your baby’s heartbeat. The most important care tip is to wipe your probe clean after every session to prevent buildup. You can also wash it using a paper towel with a small amount of soapy water or rubbing alcohol.
Along with cleaning the device, you should also keep your device safe between sessions. Consider purchasing a BabyDoppler Protective Case.
Keep Your BabyDoppler Safe
Keep Your Fetal Doppler Safe. Get the BabyDoppler Protective Case Today!